Also acknowledged for a complete cholesterol test or a lipid panel, a lipid profile test in Delhi or your town/city is a type of blood test that measures the amount of triglycerides and cholesterol in your blood.
This test helps you know the risk of development of plaques (fatty deposits) in your arteries. This buildup can make your arteries get blocked or narrowed in your entire body. It can help you detect the high levels of cholesterol that can cause you to have coronary artery disease. Here are some important points that you should know about a complete cholesterol test:
Importance of a lipid panel test
Usually, you have no visible symptoms if your cholesterol level is high. A lipid profile test done at a pathology lab can help you determine whether your cholesterol level is high, normal, or below normal one. Further, it can help you lower the risk of heart attacks and allied diseases. A lipid panel test consists of the calculation of four different types of fats in your blood:
- Total cholesterol – It is the total calculation of cholesterol content in your blood.
- LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol – Known as bad cholesterol, LDL can cause the buildup of fatty deposits (plaques) in your arteries that can affect the blood flow in your body. And as a result, you can have heart strokes or attacks.
- HDL (high density lipoprotein) cholesterol – Acknowledged as good cholesterol, it helps you stay away from LDL. and as a result, your arteries function well and your body has a good blood flow.
- Triglycerides – It is a type of fat in your blood. Your body converts whatever you eat into calories that do not need to get into triglycerides that fat cells store. High triglycerides relate to eating a lot of sweets, being overweight, having diabetes, being sedentary, having increased blood sugar levels, or smoking.
The right time to have a lipid profile test
You should get this test if you
- Doubt you have a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Are a man above 45 or a woman above 50
- Noticed abnormal cholesterol levels in previous lipid profile tests
- Are habituated of cigarette/pipe/cigar smoking
- Are overweight or an obese
- Live a sedentary life, which has a lack of physical activity
- Have diabetes, high blood pressure (hypertension), or prediabetes
- Had a family history of heart problems
Lipid profile test price
When it comes to the lipid profile test price, it differs from one town/city to another and a path laboratory to another. Based on your locality, the cost of a lipid panel test can be anything between INR 200 to INR 1000. You can know the exact price of the total cholesterol test by visiting a pathology lab in your locality.
Suggest to Read:- What Should You Know About 2 Popular Covid-19 Diagnostic Tests?
Lipid profile test normal range
A normal range of all the standard tests is as follows:
- Total cholesterol – Below 200 mg/dL.
- HDL-C (High-density lipoprotein cholesterol) – Above 60 mg/dL.
- LDL (Low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol – Below 100 mg/dL (For people with diabetes – Below 70 mg/dL).
- Triglycerides -Below 150 mg/dL.
What is lipid profile test used for?
A lipid profile test is used for
- Monitoring your cholesterol levels if your previous test reports were abnormal
- Tracking the response of your body to a particular treatment
- The determination of the level and classification of your cholesterol as normal, intermediate, or risky
- Diagnosing and treating other health conditions
Having an idea about common points of a total cholesterol test is beneficial. You can use the above-mentioned information before having a lipid profile test. It would be better to talk to a pathologist or doctor to know more about it.