Who doesn’t want flawless skin? Unfortunately, not everyone has been blessed with the right genes to have it. For a lot of us, making an effort is necessary. Especially if you have acne or other skin conditions, the struggle is real. However, you should not just lose hope right away. There are ways for you to get great skin with a few simple steps no need to spend tons of money on beauty products and treatments. By doing the following, you can be on your way to glowing skin:
1. Wash regularly
You have to know and understand that your skin needs your care and attention. Therefore, you have to make time to wash it daily. Every day, when you are outside, you get exposed to dirt, dust, smoke, smog, and other impurities. You also get sweaty if you exercise, live somewhere that has hot and humid weather, or work outside during the summer. If you wear makeup, you can feel oily and grimy too. Thus, washing regularly is crucial. If you don’t, you are letting all sorts of particles accumulate on your skin. Eventually, they can block your pores, cause irritation, and trigger skin problems. For your own good, make sure to wash before going to bed, when you wake up, and after strenuous activities.
2. Be gentle to your skin
There is a right way to wash and cleanse your skin every day. You cannot use any skin product you find or scrub until you see red. Doing these things only hurts your skin and gives you results that are much different from what you want to achieve. To be gentle, you should do the following:
- Stay away from soaps, washes, creams, and other products containing strong ingredients that can strip natural oils from your skin.
- Avoid taking too long in the shower or bath, and make sure the water isn’t too hot so that your skin’s natural oils are not removed.
- Using a clean towel, pat or blot rather than rubbing or scrubbing to avoid scratching your skin and removing moisture from it.
- Use moisturizer to rejuvenate dry skin, and make sure to look for one that is suitable for your skin type and contains SPF.
3. Protect your skin against the sun
Prolonged exposure to the sun is not good for your skin. It can cause age spots, wrinkles, and many other skin issues. It can also increase your risk of skin cancer. To prevent these, you should observe the following practices:
- Stay under the shade, especially when the ultraviolet radiation from sunlight is strongest, typically between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm.
- Cover up by wearing hats, long-sleeved tops, and long pants, specifically those that are made to be sun-protective.
- Apply sunscreen with at least 15 SPF, and make sure to use a generous amount and reapply every couple of hours.
4. Eat a healthy and balanced diet
What you eat and drink can influence how your skin looks and feels. To get smoother and clearer skin, you should add more whole grains, lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables to your regular diet. Remember to keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
5. Quit smoking
Cigarettes and tobacco are not only bad for the lungs, but they are also detrimental to your skin health. If you smoke often, your skin will look older. You will get wrinkles sooner and you will damage your elastin and collagen too, which are fibers that support your skin’s elasticity and strength. You not increase your risk of lung cancer, but you will also be at risk of squamous cell skin cancer. To have good skin and good overall health, it is best to stop smoking.
6. Visit a dermatologist
To get the proper treatment for severe acne, dry or flaky skin, skin infections, inflamed skin, and other skin problems, you should go to a dermatologist. They specialize in skin conditions, and can give you an accurate diagnosis and treatment. A quick and easy way to find one is by doing an internet search. If you are in Orlando, for example, you can look up “dermatologist in Orlando” or “dermatologist near me.” The results of your “dermatologist in Orlando” or “dermatologist near me” search should show you listings of dermatologists in your area.