Obesity – A Silent killer! It slowly poisons your heart and weakens your immune system leading to lethargy, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and coronary heart disease. Heart attack is the leading cause of death in the world, and it is specifically triggered by Obesity. Given the stats, approximately 2 billion adults suffer from obesity worldwide. According to the World Health Organization, 39% of the world’s adults are overweight, and 13% are obese. It is not only an eating disorder but the root causes may differ from person to person. Obesity may be caused by using food as an anti-depressant, polycystic ovaries, little physical activity due to workplace constraints, and many more! But obesity is a problem that comes with a solution.
There is a whole industry that revolves around weight loss and uses the insecurities of people by tricking them into buying useless weight loss supplements or going under abrasive surgeries to maintain a desirable physical image. The weight loss industry has instilled an idea in the minds of those who want to lose weight, that it can only be achieved through rigorous means. Even gym memberships cannot make a person lose weight if the diet is not controlled. 80% of the process of losing weight depends upon diet and only 20% of it is dependent on physical activity.
In this article, we will focus on busting 6 major myths of weight loss and effective ways of losing weight.
- Crash dieting may make you shed pounds in days but it will only force your body into going in survival mode, and you will immediately bounce back to the weight you were on before, and may even gain a few more. What happens is that you are not psychologically ready to lose weight through and you are impatient for the results.
- Skipping meals – The most common myth and wrongful exercise in losing weight is by skipping meals. This only makes you hungrier and you end up wanting more. The hunger makes you frustrated and you will often see a drop in your blood pressure. Skipping meals should never be an option. One should always keep the calorie count below 300 per meal and may incorporate healthy snacks like nuts and fruits.
- Fruits should never be substituted in place of meals. Every meal of the day should contain proteins. Your protein count and the required grams of proteins needed in a meal can be achieved through lean meats and vegetables.
- High Fiber content is needed for healthy bowel movements and for keeping you full throughout the day, and for keeping your colon healthy. So you will have to increase your fiber intake. Almonds, asparagus, and berries have high fiber content and can be taken as snacks whenever hunger strikes.
- Sugar-Free sugars [aspartame]…. Never take sugar substitutes! What you need to do instead is to cut off sugar entirely, and in the next 3-4 days you will start to see a decline in the body’s need for sugar. Cut off soda, bakery items, and diet sodas entirely.
Gyms – you do not necessarily need to go to a gym to lose weight, you can do cardio and may start with light exercise at home. Sometimes gym equipment is not suited for your body type and may lead to injuries. In case of personal injury caused due to faulty gym equipment, you can get compensation for your injury through the pacific attorney group.
Nevertheless, one should not fall for the weight loss myths and should adopt a health regime that may suit their lifestyle and body type.