Facemasks, although often thought of as a protective tool, are more than just a protective tool: they are also a style statement. A well-designed facemask can be an accessory that not only make you look your best, but it can also provide you with a sense of fashion and good taste. This is particularly true when paired with high fashion eyeglasses, as you may get more attention from onlookers if you wear an eye mask.
Everyone needs to follow specific guidelines and ensure appropriate precautions before making a DIY face mask. Multiple layers of fabrics that facilitate easy breathing should be used to make face masks using a cloth. The fitting should be perfect on both sides of the face but also give a comfortable. For ensuring that the masks provide a proper fit, ear loops or ties should be used.
The following three simple ways to make homemade cloth face coverings meet all the requirements:
You can make a sewn cloth face mask using the following materials:
- Two pieces of cotton fabric (rectangle- 10”*6”)
- Two straps of elastic, cloth strips, string, hair ties, or rubber bands (6 inches)
- Thread and needle
- Sewing machine
Steps to follow:
- Cut out a cotton fabric into two 10-by-6 rectangle pieces.
- Stack both the pieces on top of each other such that the wrong sides are facing each other.
- Fold the top and bottom part by 1/4th inch, iron, and hem. Further, fold the fabric’s double layer along the short sides by iron and by ½ inch.
- Make ear loops with the elastic straps by using a safety pin or by hemming. You can also use a longer cloth strip and tie the mask instead of using an adjustable strap.
- Stich the elastic or cloth tightly to avoid slipping of the mask.
- Mask without cutting and sewing
For a no-cut-no-sew face mask, you require a cotton bandana and rubber bands. You need scissors only if you are cutting your cloth.
- Firstly, fold the bandana into half.
- Further, fold the top part downward and the bottom part upwards.
- Take two rubber bands and slide them over the bandana nearly six inches apart.
- Now fold the two sides inwards and tuck.
- No-sew face mask with an old T-shirt
All you need is an old T-shirt and a pair of scissors.
Step 1. Cut out 7-8 inches of the T-shirt’s bottom part.
Step 2. Further, fold the shirt in half and cut off 6-7 inches.
Step 3. Now, cut the ends of the shirt for making strings. You have to tie these strings behind the neck and around the head’s top part.
Tips for wearing face masks:
- The surgical masks or N-95 respirators should be reserved for frontline workers.
- Masks should not be used for children below two years of age.
- Regular cleaning of masks is mandatory.
- Wash or sanitize your hands immediately after uncovering your face.
For most people, facial masks can also make them look thinner. When worn by people who need to appear thinner than average, facemasks have the dual benefit of covering the mouth and nose while keeping facial features intact. It also gives people a false sense of confidence, because wearing a mask may make them look better than they really are. The only exception to this would be if a facial mask were to be worn while participating in a special sporting activity, such as gymnastics or water-skiing. In this case, it is important to ensure that a respirator or an adequate protective gear is worn.