With the novel developments in surgery in the world, specialty surgeons are a boon to the medical field. In the Cardiothoracic Hospital Coimbatore, there is a team of expert cardiothoracic doctors and surgeons. Cardiothoracic surgery is a collective term for treating organs belonging to the cardiac (heart) and thoracic (chest) regions.
This blog will help you know more about cardiothoracic surgery and choose the best cardiothoracic doctors and hospital for a safe and effective treatment.
The history of cardiothoracic surgery dates back to an era of the Second World War. During this time, doctors had performed an open-heart surgery with the use of a heart-lung machine. Subsequently, the procedures have evolved. You can get treatment from a talented team of doctors and surgeons at Cardiothoracic hospital Coimbatore. The best cardiothoracic surgeons in Coimbatore will examine you in the clinic and prescribe the necessary medicines. However, in an emergency or specific instances, surgeries need to be performed.
What do cardiothoracic surgeons do?
A weak and stressful lifestyle contributes to several diseases of the heart and lung that need help from a cardiothoracic doctor in today’s world. The team of cardiothoracic surgeons comprises cardiac surgeons, cardiovascular surgeons, thoracic surgeons, and congenital surgeons. These medical doctors specialize in surgeries and treat diseases related to the heart, lungs, and organs placed in the cardiothoracic region. They typically specialize in the treatment of the following diseased conditions:
- Coronary artery disease: A disease of heart arteries that get blocked or damaged.
- Aortic valve disease: A condition of malfunctioning of the heart valve between the aorta and heart chamber.
- Mitral valve disease: A condition where the valve in between the left upper and lower chamber of the heart is damaged.
- Lung cancer: A cancer of the lungs.
- Oesophagal cancer: A cancer of the hollow muscular tube oesophagus carries food and water to the stomach.
- Atrial septal defects: A hole in the upper heart wall (septa).
- Ventricular septal defects: A hole in the lower heart wall.
- Tetralogy of Fallot: A rare heart condition from birth time.
Which surgeries come under cardiothoracic surgeries?
What are different Cardiothoracic Surgeries?
The cardiothoracic surgeries encompass the following primary specialties and subspecialties:
- Cardiac: The cardiac surgeries range from minimally invasive procedures to primary operations. The subspecialties are as follows:
- Angioplasty: Opening of the blocked artery by removing the plaque that accumulates in the arteries and affects blood flow, causing a heart attack. Doctors often place a stent (a metallic coil) in the artery to make way for the blood.
- Ablation: Treating a part of the heart to treat irregular heartbeats.
- Pacemakers and other devices: Placement of a pacemaker or defibrillator to treat the weakened heart.
- Open heart surgeries: Treating heart blockages or irregular rhythms in these surgeries.
- Bypass surgery: Also termed coronary artery bypass grafting. A skilled surgeon bypasses the blocked artery by grafting a piece of vein from your arm or leg to ensure an uninterrupted and healthy blood supply.
- Heart valve repair: Replacement or repair of the malfunctioning heart valves.
- Ventricular assist devices: Implanting devices to improve heart efficiency.
- Heart transplant: With the availability of a suitable donor, replacing a damaged heart with a healthy heart.
- Thoracic surgeries: Typically involve surgeries related to lung cancer or some other organs inside the thorax.
- Pneumonectomy: Removal of the whole lung.
- Wedge resection: Removal of a small part of the damaged lung.
- Lobectomy: Removal of the lobe of the lung.
- Congenital surgeries: Surgeons will perform these surgeries to treat a defect that exists from birth. These congenital disabilities require multiple surgeries after the baby’s birth
- Holes in the heart wall or septa.
- The small size of the heart chambers.
- Defects in the blood vessels.
- Faulty valves between the heart chambers.
What to do before the surgery?
Before you undergo any cardiothoracic surgery, discuss with your doctor. The best cardiothoracic surgeons in Coimbatore will guide you regarding the pre-surgery requirements and tests:
- Before the surgery, you need a blood test and urine analysis, an electrocardiogram, and a chest X-ray.
- Your doctor will inform you regarding fasting before the surgery and regarding stopping or continuing your current medication.
What happens during the surgery?
The team of cardiothoracic surgeons is highly qualified and works closely with skilled cardiologists, oncologists, anesthesiologists, and the entire staff of our hospital’s intensive care unit, one of the best cardiothoracic hospitals in Coimbatore. They will ensure the following:
- Carry out a pain-free procedure with the help of anesthesia.
- Ensure proper breathing through the airways.
- Keep enough blood supply ready if transfusion is needed.
- Reach the cardiothoracic organs to treat or remove the damaged part and suture the thoracic area back.
Post-surgery rehabilitation and recovery
After the surgery, the team of qualified medical staff will shift you to the intensive care unit. You will stay at the hospital for several days until the wounds heal and your vital parameters work well. Do not miss any follow-ups and strictly adhere to a rehabilitation program. You can resume light sports activities only after the cardiothoracic doctor’s advice.
Are there any risks involved in cardiothoracic surgery?
Like any other surgery, there is a risk of bleeding, infection, blood clots, seizures, or an allergic reaction to anesthesia. However, skilled doctors take care to avoid complications.
We have the best surgeons having qualified medical careers in cardiology to help you regain a healthy life. Book your appointment now and get world-class treatment for your cardiothoracic diseases.