All you need to know about knee replacements
Knee replacement surgical procedure is likewise called knee arthroplasty surgery. It is a type of orthopaedic surgery, which is most commonly undergone by elderly people. There is significant high graph advancement in knee replacement surgeries over the past 15 to 20 years. Several advanced & innovative technologies are available to ease the pain of patients suffering from knee aches. The best knee replacement surgeon in Mumbai is your one-stop place for arthroplasty related problems.
Patella is typically identified as the kneecap. It is one of the most complex joints. It is a flat bone that is a globular and triangular-shaped bone. It is articulated with the thigh bone (femur bone). It acts as a protective barrier and encloses the following parts that form the knee joint:
- Quadriceps muscles
- Quadriceps tendon
- Lateral condyle
- Posterior cruciate
- Anterior cruciate ligament
- Lateral collateral ligament
- Medial collateral
- ligament Meniscus
- Patellar tendon (Ligament)
Therefore, it makes the patella one of the complicated joints in the body of human anatomy.
This surgical procedure involves repairing and rehabilitating the knee joint that has weight-bearing surfaces that gives rise to severe pain. Knee replacement surgery cost in Mumbai is reasonable for the patients. The knee replacement surgery relieves pain and discomfort during walking. It restores the joint that underwent wear & tear and severe damage due to arthritis. The pain & discomfort of the knee may be due to diseases like
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Long-standing osteoarthritis
They cause severe discomfort & pain.
There are many major causes of debilitating or depleting forms of pain and discomfort. It includes:
- Meniscus tears
- Cartilage defects
- Ligament tears.
- Depleting pain from osteoarthritis is more commonly found in elderly patients.
In knee replacement surgery they use plastic and metal components to crown up the bone-end to form the patella or knee joints with the kneecap.
However, the thought of your knee replacement surgery/ total knee arthroplasty seems to be very overwhelming. But if you have proper knowledge & consulting about the surgery then it will help to relieve some of your anxiety.
- The patient undergoing knee replacement surgery will have to undergo pre-op & consulting.
- In some cases, blood will be taken so that if any medical emergencies are present then that can be also addressed.
- The radiographic analysis will be done to get the severity of the knee pain & discomfort.
Angles commonly measured before knee replacement surgery:
- Hip-knee-shaft angle
- Hip-knee-ankle angle
DURING THE ARTHROPLASTY SURGERY
- Normally, you are not supposed to eat after midnight because of your scheduled surgery. You are allowed to drink only water.
- Arthroplasty surgery is operated under general anaesthesia.
- During the surgical procedure depending upon the complexity & severity of arthroplasty, it usually takes about 60 to 90 mins or may extend to 2 hours (depending upon the severity) for the surgical procedure to complete.
- What are the types of Arthroplasties?
- TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT: It is the process whereby the entire knee joint is rebuilt with artificial surfaces surrounding the knee.
- PARTIAL KNEE REPLACEMENT: It is the process wherein simply the damaged or worn-out part of the enclosure of the knee is replaced & rehabilitated.
Total knee/patella replacement is the more common procedure of these two techniques. Knee replacement surgery is a reliable and durable surgical procedure. It also has a very long-term development and satisfaction.
Pain is a common phenomenon after knee replacement surgical procedures. However, the pain will be controlled by the medication & sedatives. The rehabilitation after the surgery will proceed along with your medical stability. Physical therapy plays the most important role after the surgery & recovery.
- Moving in and out of bed
- Sitting at the edge of the bed with your feet touching the ground.
- Walking with the help of walking aid like a walker or crutches.
- Ascending & descending the stairs with the help of walking aids.
The best hospital for knee replacement surgery in Mumbai offers minimal knee replacement surgery according to your health status & severity of your pain requirement. This surgery relieves your pain & discomfort. It allows you back on your feet. The doctor is skilful and professionally trained. The doctor performs several surgical procedures and techniques that are in the best interest of your health. They offer you the best care corresponding to your requirement.